Re: [HACKERS] Need a builtin way to run all tests faster manner - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Need a builtin way to run all tests faster manner
Date
Re: [HACKERS] Need a builtin way to run all tests faster manner  (Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 2017-03-08 16:32:49 -0500, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 3/6/17 19:53, Andres Freund wrote:
> > I'm just not quite sure what the best way is to make it easier to run
> > tests in parallel within the tree.
>
> make check-world -j2 seems to run fine for me.

Hm, I at least used to get a lot of spurious failures with this. I
e.g. don't think the free port selection is race free.  Also that
doesn't solve the issue of the time spent in repetitive initdbs - but
that's mainly in contrib, and we probably solve that there by having a
special target in contrib/ building a cluster once.

> You can also run prove with a -j option.

Ah, interesting.

> (The problem is that parallel make and parallel tests together might
> explode a bit, so we might want some way to control which aspect we
> parallelize.)

Yea, I indeed see that. Probably could do a top-level prerequisite for
check on a check-world subset that includes docs?

- Andres