Re: [GENERAL] Full Text Search combined with Fuzzy - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Nicolas Paris
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Full Text Search combined with Fuzzy
Date
List pgsql-general
Le 27 févr. 2017 à 10:32, Oleg Bartunov écrivait :

> On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 3:52 PM, Nicolas Paris <niparisco@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>
>     AFAIK there is no built-in way to combine full text search and fuzzy
>     matching
>     (https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/fuzzystrmatch.html).
>     By example, phrase searching with tipos in it.
>
>     First I don't know if postgresql concurrents (lucene based...) are able
>     to do so.
>

> Usually, https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/pgtrgm.html is used for
> this.

Hi Oleg,

Thanks. I thought pgtrgm was not able to index my long texts because of
limitation of 8191 bytes per index row for btree.

Then I found out it is possible to use pgtrgm over a GIN/GIST index.
My final use case is phrase mining in texts.

I want my application returns texts that contains approximatly the user
entry:

Eg: user search "Hello Word"
a text containing "blah blah blah hello world blah blah blah" would be
returned.

Test:
postgres=# CREATE table test_trgm (texts text);
CREATE TABLE
postgres=# CREATE INDEX ON test_trgm USING GIN(texts gin_trgm_ops);
CREATE INDEX
postgres=# SET enable_seqscan = OFF;
SET
postgres=# insert into test_trgm VALUES ('blah blah blah hello world blah blah blah');
INSERT 0 1
postgres=# insert into test_trgm VALUES ('blah blah blah hello word blah blah blah');
INSERT 0 1
postgres=# SELECT texts, similarity(texts, 'hello word') FROM test_trgm WHERE texts % 'hello word';
                   texts                   | similarity
-------------------------------------------+------------
 blah blah blah hello world blah blah blah |   0.473684
 blah blah blah hello word blah blah blah  |     0.6875
(2 rows)

postgres=# EXPLAIN SELECT texts, similarity(texts, 'hello word') FROM test_trgm WHERE texts % 'hello word';
                                    QUERY PLAN
 Bitmap Heap Scan on test_trgm  (cost=52.01..56.03 rows=1 width=32)
   Recheck Cond: (texts % 'hello word'::text)
   ->  Bitmap Index Scan on test_trgm_texts_idx  (cost=0.00..52.01 rows=1 width=0)
         Index Cond: (texts % 'hello word'::text)
(4 rows)

Conclusion: If I d'say 0.4 is my threshold, would this methodology meet
my requirements ?

Thanks for the help !