Re: [HACKERS] [POC] hash partitioning - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Yugo Nagata
Subject Re: [HACKERS] [POC] hash partitioning
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 1 Mar 2017 10:30:09 +0530
Rushabh Lathia <rushabh.lathia@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Now we have a declarative partitioning, but hash partitioning is not
> > implemented yet. Attached is a POC patch to add the hash partitioning
> > feature. I know we will need more discussions about the syntax and other
> > specifications before going ahead the project, but I think this runnable
> > code might help to discuss what and how we implement this.
> >
> > * Description
> >
> > In this patch, the hash partitioning implementation is basically based
> > on the list partitioning mechanism. However, partition bounds cannot be
> > specified explicitly, but this is used internally as hash partition
> > index, which is calculated when a partition is created or attached.
> >
> > The tentative syntax to create a partitioned table is as bellow;
> >
> >  CREATE TABLE h (i int) PARTITION BY HASH(i) PARTITIONS 3 USING hashint4;
> >
> > The number of partitions is specified by PARTITIONS, which is currently
> > constant and cannot be changed, but I think this is needed to be changed in
> > some manner. A hash function is specified by USING. Maybe, specifying hash
> > function may be ommitted, and in this case, a default hash function
> > corresponding to key type will be used.
> >
> > A partition table can be create as bellow;
> >
> >  CREATE TABLE h1 PARTITION OF h;
> >  CREATE TABLE h2 PARTITION OF h;
> >  CREATE TABLE h3 PARTITION OF h;
> >
> > FOR VALUES clause cannot be used, and the partition bound is
> > calclulated automatically as partition index of single integer value.
> >
> > When trying create partitions more than the number specified
> > by PARTITIONS, it gets an error.
> >
> > postgres=# create table h4 partition of h;
> > ERROR:  cannot create hash partition more than 3 for h
> >
> > An inserted record is stored in a partition whose index equals
> > abs(hashfunc(key)) % <number_of_partitions>. In the above
> > example, this is abs(hashint4(i))%3.
> >
> > postgres=# insert into h (select generate_series(0,20));
> > INSERT 0 21
> >
> > postgres=# select *,tableoid::regclass from h;
> >  i  | tableoid
> > ----+----------
> >   0 | h1
> >   1 | h1
> >   2 | h1
> >   4 | h1
> >   8 | h1
> >  10 | h1
> >  11 | h1
> >  14 | h1
> >  15 | h1
> >  17 | h1
> >  20 | h1
> >   5 | h2
> >  12 | h2
> >  13 | h2
> >  16 | h2
> >  19 | h2
> >   3 | h3
> >   6 | h3
> >   7 | h3
> >   9 | h3
> >  18 | h3
> > (21 rows)
> >

> This is good, I will have closer look into the patch, but here are

Thanks. I'm looking forward to your comments.

> - CREATE HASH partition syntax adds two new keywords and ideally
> we should try to avoid adding additional keywords. Also I can see that
> HASH keyword been added, but I don't see any use of newly added
> keyword in gram.y.

Yes, you are right. HASH keyword is not necessary. I'll remove it
from the patch.

> - Also I didn't like the idea of fixing number of partitions during the
> CREATE
> TABLE syntax. Thats something that needs to be able to changes.

I agree. The number specified by PARTIONS should be the *initial* number
of partitions and this should be abelt to be changed. I'm investigating
the way.

> > * Todo / discussions
> >
> > In this patch, we cannot change the number of partitions specified
> > by PARTITIONS. I we can change this, the partitioning rule
> > (<partition index> = abs(hashfunc(key)) % <number_of_partitions>)
> > is also changed and then we need reallocatiing records between
> > partitions.
> >
> > In this patch, user can specify a hash function USING. However,
> > we migth need default hash functions which are useful and
> > proper for hash partitioning.
> >

> +1
>
> - With fixing default hash function and not specifying number of partitions
> during CREATE TABLE - don't need two new additional columns into
> pg_partitioned_table catalog.

I think the option to specify a hash function is needed because
user may want to use a user-defined hash function for some reasons,
for example, when a user-defined type is used as a partition key.