Re: PostgreSQL cannot be compiled on RISC-V - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Richard W.M. Jones
Subject Re: PostgreSQL cannot be compiled on RISC-V
Date
List pgsql-bugs
(Sorry about the threading and quoting, I am not subscribed to this list)

> > This is*probably*  because our kernel lacks networking support, but
> > I didn't look at this in great detail yet.
>
> wait, what??   postgres can't function at all without basic networking
> support, including at least named pipes and tcp over localhost.

What I said wasn't very precise.  The emulators and hardware that we
use for RISC-V lack any external networking.  As you can probably
imagine, this makes them very frustrating to use.

In addition, there are bugs in the kernel network stack on RISC-V
which seem to cause problems with localhost connections and Unix
domain sockets in some circumstances.  These particularly cause test
failures in our autobuilder when the tests (of any package, not just
PostgreSQL) use the network.  I have looked into this, but so far not
been able to narrow it down or make a simple reproducer.  It could be
a syscall ABI problem.

The Linux kernel we are using does have networking enabled.  If you
are interested in this more, then you can see our CONFIG_* settings
here:

  https://github.com/rwmjones/fedora-riscv-kernel

I hope that clears things up.

Rich.