Re: Indirect indexes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Indirect indexes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Oct 20, 2016 at 10:39:23AM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Just to clarify, if a feature improves performance by 1%, but is enabled
> > by default, that is 10x more useful across our entire user base as the
> > feature numbers listed above, 1% vs 0.1%.
>
> Great.  But not all users are alike.  We have big profile users that
> write blog posts that get echoed all over the world who would benefit
> from things that perhaps other users would not benefit that much from.
>
> > Also, it seems indirect indexes would be useful for indexing columns
> > that are not updated frequently on tables that are updated frequently,
> > and whose primary key is not updated frequently.  That's quite a logic
> > problem for users to understand.
>
> I don't think we should be optimizing only for dumb users.  In any case,
> updating primary key values is very rare; some would say it never
> happens.

Uh, so we are writing the database for sophisticated users who write
blog posts who make us look bad?  Really?

My point is that we need to look at the entire user base, and look at
the adoption rates of features, and figure out how to maximize that.

You are right that sophisticated users can hit roadblocks, and we need
to give them a solution that keeps them on Postgres.  However, if we can
solve the problem in a way that everyone benefits from by default (e.g.
WARM), why not implement that instead, or at least go as far as we can
with that before adding a feature that only sophisticated users will
know to enable.  (My "logic problem" above shows that only sophisticated
users will likely use indirect indexes.)

If we have to solve a vacuum problem with indirect indexes, and WARM
also is limited by the same vacuum problem, let's fix the vacuum problem
for WARM, which will be used by all users.

In summary, I need to know what problems indirect indexes fix that WARM
cannot, or eventually cannot if given the amount of engineering work we
would need to implement indirect indexes.

http://enterprisedb.com