Re: Hash Indexes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Hash Indexes
Date
Re: Hash Indexes
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2016-05-10 17:39:22 +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> For making hash indexes usable in production systems, we need to improve
> its concurrency and make them crash-safe by WAL logging them.

One earlier question about this is whether that is actually a worthwhile
goal.  Are the speed and space benefits big enough in the general case?
Could those benefits not be achieved in a more maintainable manner by
adding a layer that uses a btree over hash(columns), and adds
appropriate rechecks after heap scans?

Note that I'm not saying that hash indexes are not worthwhile, I'm just
doubtful that question has been explored sufficiently.

Greetings,

Andres Freund