Re: Should we cacheline align PGXACT? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Should we cacheline align PGXACT?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2016-08-19 09:46:12 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Alexander Korotkov <a.korotkov@postgrespro.ru> writes:
> > originally this idea was proposed by Andres Freund while experimenting with
> > lockfree Pin/UnpinBuffer [1].
> > The patch is attached as well as results of pgbench -S on 72-cores
> > machine.  As before it shows huge benefit in this case.
>
> That's one mighty ugly patch.

My version of it was only intended to nail down some variability on the
pgpro machine, it wasn't intended for submission.

> Can't you do it without needing to introduce the additional layer of
> struct nesting?

If we required support for anonymous unions, such things would be a lot
easier to do.  That aside, the only alternative seems tob e hard-coding
padding space - which probably isn't all that un-fragile either.