Re: endash not a graphic character? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruno Wolff III
Subject Re: endash not a graphic character?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, Aug 21, 2016 at 14:24:16 -0400,
  Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

>Unfortunately, these particular characters are U+2013 and U+2014 so you
>lose.

Thanks for saving me some time, as it would have taken me quite a while
to figure that out.

I'll adjust the constraint so that good strings aren't rejected. Which
was my immediate problem. I'm not that worried about bad strings getting
added, since the data also gets checked before trying to add it to
the database.

>Obviously there's room for improvement here, but so far nobody's been
>motivated to work on it.  Last discussion about it (AFAIR) was this
>thread:

One thing I would suggest is documenting this limitation under:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/functions-matching.html#FUNCTIONS-POSIX-REGEXP

I might have missed it, but I did try reading that section to see if I was
doing something wrong before asking on the list. In particular I would
expect this limitation to be noted under:
9.7.3.6. Limits and Compatibility