Re: Pglogical questions and problems - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Pglogical questions and problems
Date
Re: Pglogical questions and problems  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
Re: Pglogical questions and problems  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2016-04-14 16:42:10 +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:
> What intense work is required? pglogical already works, it just requires
> review.

I've done a round of reviews in January, still not all points are
addressed of yet (due to time limits afaik).  At that pace it's
unrealistic to get anything into 9.7.  As of late most major patches
have been developed in a collaborative manner, across companies in many
cases. We're simply at the point where an indidivudal cannot easily
write a major piece on their own.

I think there's quite a bit of work needed all around. The output
plugin's protocol needs some work, the whole catalog infrastructure and
management in pglogical itself needs a lot of work.

> If you already have opinions about things that need changing, or
> that require additional work, please say what they are on-list in the
> normal way.

I've done so?

> I'm happy to collaborate, I just don't see why that requires multiple
> commit rights to a single repository. It may do, once we know what changes
> you're thinking about.

Because otherwise we end up waiting months for things that are agreed
upon; and which are easier to do than to hash out in minute detail.

> If we aren't going to talk about changes in advance, then multiple
> commit rights is a recipe for conflict, not a better way at all.

Obviously we should discuss design bits, I don't see how that's a
conflict.

> Petr is more than capable for managing bug fixes and I would like to see
> him have his chance to demonstrate his skill and get a shot at being a
> committer, just as you did. Having one person manage a feature seems like
> the best way.

That's what we tried for 9.5/9.6, and it didn't work.

Btw, Robert and I did work together on a shared repository for
significant chunks of the logical decoding work. That obviously doesn't
preclude becoming a committer; nor does it prevent proper attribution.

Greetings,

Andres Freund