Re: Pglogical questions and problems - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Pglogical questions and problems
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 14 April 2016 at 02:05, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
Hi,

On 2016-04-13 09:38:39 +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:
> If we want this in 9.7

I desperately want logical replication for 9.7. And I'm planning to put
in a good chunk of work to make that happen in some way.

Good, thanks. I'm happy to collaborate.

> we'll need lots of people's support, design commentary and assistance
> with bug fixing.

I think realistically that requires interested parties to collaborate on
one repository, otherwise the latencies are going to be too big. Us
being in different timezones and part of separate companies with
different schedules it's very hard to arrange having time to intensely
work together on a project.

What intense work is required? pglogical already works, it just requires review. If you already have opinions about things that need changing, or that require additional work, please say what they are on-list in the normal way.

I'm happy to collaborate, I just don't see why that requires multiple commit rights to a single repository. It may do, once we know what changes you're thinking about. If we aren't going to talk about changes in advance, then multiple commit rights is a recipe for conflict, not a better way at all.

Petr is more than capable for managing bug fixes and I would like to see him have his chance to demonstrate his skill and get a shot at being a committer, just as you did. Having one person manage a feature seems like the best way.

Logical decoding itself has many additional feature requirements as well, so there is more than enough work to do for all.