Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Refer to a TOKEN_USER payload as a "token user, " not as a "user - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Noah Misch
Subject Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Refer to a TOKEN_USER payload as a "token user, " not as a "user
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Apr 01, 2016 at 11:07:01PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > * Noah Misch (noah@leadboat.com) wrote:
> >> I see some advantages of writing "TokenUser", as you propose.  However, our
> >> error style guide says "Avoid mentioning called function names, either;
> >> instead say what the code was trying to do."  Mentioning an enumerator name is
> >> morally similar to mentioning a function name.
>
> > That's a fair point, but it doesn't mean we should use a different
> > spelling for the enumerator name to avoid that piece of the policy.  I
> > certianly don't see "token user" as saying "what the code was trying to
> > do" in this case.
>
> FWIW, "token user" conveys entirely inappropriate, politically incorrect
> connotations to me ;-).  I don't have any great suggestions on what to use
> instead, but I share Stephen's unhappiness with the wording as-committed.

The wording in GetTokenUser() and AddUserToTokenDacl() seems fine; let's
standardize on that.  Also, every GetTokenUser() failure has been yielding two
messages, the second contributing no further detail.  I'll reduce that to the
usual one message per failure.

nm

Attachment