Re: Additional role attributes && superuser review - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Additional role attributes && superuser review
Date
Re: Additional role attributes && superuser review  (Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Michael,

* Michael Paquier (michael.paquier@gmail.com) wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 6:37 AM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> > * Robert Haas (robertmhaas@gmail.com) wrote:
> >>
> >> I don't think it moves the goal posts all that far.  Convincing
> >> pg_dump to dump grants on system functions shouldn't be a crazy large
> >> patch.
> >
> > I wasn't clear as to what I was referring to here.  I've already written
> > a patch to pg_dump to support grants on system objects and agree that
> > it's at least reasonable.
>
> Is it already posted somewhere? I don't recall seeing it. Robert and Noah
> have a point that this would be useful for users who would like to dump
> GRANT/REVOKE rights on system functions & all, using a new option in
> pg_dumpall, say --with-system-acl or --with-system-privileges.

Multiple versions were posted on this thread.  I don't fault you for not
finding it, this thread is a bit long in the tooth.  The one I'm
currently working from is:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/attachment/38049/catalog_function_acls_v4.patch

I'm going to split up the pg_dump changes and the backend changes, as
they can logically go in independently (though without both, we're not
moving the needle very far with regards to what administrators can do).

> If at least
> the three of you are agreeing here I think that we should try to move at
> least toward this goal first. That seems a largely doable goal for 9.6. For
> the set of default roles, there is clearly no clear consensus regarding
> what each role should do or not, and under which limitation it should
> operate.

I'm trying to work towards a consensus on the default roles, hence the
questions and discussion posed in the email you replied to.

Thanks!

Stephen