Re: Template for commit messages - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Template for commit messages
Date
Re: Template for commit messages  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
> On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 10:40:09AM -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > * Joshua D. Drake (jd@commandprompt.com) wrote:

> > > Yes, we are either all in or we may as well forgo this.
> >
> > I don't have a particular issue with it, but would like whatever
> > template is decided upon to be included in our git repo and then we
> > should be able to make it the template that's opened up when people go
> > to commit pretty easily.
>
> OK, but keep in mind whatever script committers user should remove tags
> that are empty after exiting the editor.  I can provide the grep regex
> in git somewhere too:
>
>   egrep -v "^(Author|Reported-by|Bug|Reviewed-by|Tested-by|Backpatch-through): *$"

If the template is there then, for my part at least, I wouldn't mind
killing the empty lines.  Having a decent script would work too, of
course... but I have to admit that I've not tried having a script modify
my commit messages right before they're committed and, well, it'd take a
bit for me to be comfortable with it.

No one wants garbled commit messages from a script that went awry. ;)

Thanks!

Stephen