Re: 2016-01 Commitfest - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: 2016-01 Commitfest
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2016-01-25 15:02:02 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Andres Freund wrote:
> > On 2016-01-25 13:36:04 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > > * https://commitfest.postgresql.org/8/260/
> > >   checkpoint continuous flushing
> >
> > FWIW, I've been working and benchmarking this a lot over the last
> > weeks.  After finally nailing down the performance regression due to wal
> > writer, thins are looking good.  I plan to post an updated version soon.
>
> Excellent.  I assume the walwriter bug is going to get fixed separately,
> probably backpatched too?

I definitely have it as a separate patch, and plan to commit it as
such. But I'm doubtful about backpatching it - without the controlled
sorting & flushing the impact isn't *that* big (i.e. not a factor of
5-10), and it could also cause performance regressions. We could later
redecide, but I'd rather focus on working on master.

Andres