Re: checkpointer continuous flushing - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: checkpointer continuous flushing
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2016-01-12 13:54:21 +0100, Fabien COELHO wrote:
> >I measured it in a different number of cases, both on SSDs
> >and spinning rust.
>
> Argh! This is a key point: the sort/flush is designed to help HDDs, and
> would have limited effect on SSDs, and it seems that you are showing that
> the effect is in fact negative on SSDs, too bad:-(

As you quoted, I could reproduce the slowdown both with SSDs *and* with
rotating disks.

> On SSDs, the linux IO scheduler works quite well, so this is a place where I
> would consider simply disactivating flushing and/or sorting.

Not my experience. In different scenarios, primarily with a large
shared_buffers fitting the whole hot working set, the patch
significantly improves performance.

> >postgres-ckpt14 \
> >       -D /srv/temp/pgdev-dev-800/ \
> >       -c maintenance_work_mem=2GB \
> >       -c fsync=on \
> >       -c synchronous_commit=off \
>
> I'm not sure I like this one. I guess the intention is to focus on
> checkpointer writes and reduce the impact of WAL writes. Why not.

Now sure what you mean? s_c = off is *very* frequent in the field.

> >My laptop 1 EVO 840, 1 i7-4800MQ, 16GB ram:
> >master:
> >scaling factor: 800
>
> The DB is probably about 12GB, so it fits in memory in the end, meaning that
> there should be only write activity after some time? So this is not really
> the case where it does not fit in memory, but it is large enough to get
> mostly random IOs both in read & write, so why not.

Doesn't really fit into ram - shared buffers uses some space (which will
be double buffered) and the xlog will use some more.

> >ckpt-14 (flushing by backends disabled):
>
> Is this comment refering to "synchronous_commit = off"?
> I guess this is the same on master above, even if not written?

No, what I mean by that is that I didn't active flushing writes in
backends - something I found hugely effective in reducing jitter in a
number of workloads, but doesn't help throughput.

> >As you can see there's roughly a 30% performance regression on the
> >slower SSD and a ~9% on the faster one. HDD results are similar (but I
> >can't repeat on the laptop right now since the 2nd hdd is now an SSD).
>
> Ok, that is what I would have expected, the larger the database, the smaller
> the impact of sorting & flushin on SSDs.

Again: "HDD results are similar". I primarily tested on a 4 disk raid10
of 4 disks, and a raid0 of 20 disks.

Greetings,

Andres Freund