Re: BUG #13741: vacuumdb does not accept valid password - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: BUG #13741: vacuumdb does not accept valid password
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Tom Lane wrote:
> > Thanks for the input.  I decided to push what we had because it's less
> > invasive in terms of API definition.
>
> I dunno, this might be easier for the callers that don't want password
> re-use, but it seems quite horrid for ones that do.  The changes to
> vacuumdb.c are, frankly, seriously ugly; and they require vacuumdb.c
> to know a lot more than before about password handling.

Yes, it is ugly.

> Other notes are that the strdup() call should surely be pg_strdup(),
> and the mix of free() and pg_free() is at best unsightly.

I had the same comment, but it turns out that free and strdup must be
used instead because sprompt.c uses malloc in the equivalent places; and
we can't use pg_malloc there because it's in src/port which isn't
allowed to use fe_memutils.  We would have to move it from src/port to
src/common first.

> The place I was thinking we might end up was something like Fujii-san's
> patch plus a new bool parameter "allow_password_reuse", which could be
> passed as false in cases where the old behavior seems preferable.

Hm, we can try that.