Re: TODO list updates - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: TODO list updates
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 12:02:03PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Are you suggesting I remove those links?  It is kind of odd to have
> > links to patches for features we don't want, or just keep it?
>
> No, quite the contrary -- I think the links allow some other person
> research the issue including the history of patches and discussion, and
> decide for themselves whether the feature is right to be rejected.

I think on-disk bitmap indexes would only beat GIN indexes in a
read-only database on low-cardinality columns.  For example, if you had
a purchase_log table and wanted to know all the "blue" and "large" items
sold at a specific store, I can see on-disk bitmap indexes doing well
there.  If you added the product number, or needed read/write, I think
GIN would win.  I just don't think we have enough deployments who need
what on-disk bitmap are best at.

http://enterprisedb.com

+ Roman grave inscription                             +