Re: Patch: Optimize memory allocation in function 'bringetbitmap' - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Patch: Optimize memory allocation in function 'bringetbitmap'
Date
Re: Patch: Optimize memory allocation in function 'bringetbitmap'  ("Jinyu Zhang" <beijing_pg@163.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
zhangjinyu wrote:

> Jinyu:  the memory is allocated from perRangeCxt  and perRangeCxt will be
> reset in loop,
> so this way don't work.

You're right.  I think we can do better: have brin_deform_tuple accept
another argument of type BrinMemTuple *, which can be NULL.  If NULL,
the function calls brin_new_memtuple to allocate a new one (just like
current code); if not NULL, that one is used.  Have brin_new_memtuple
also allocate the values/allnulls/hasnulls arrays, which are now part of
the BrinMemTuple struct.  Then, bringetbitmap calls brin_new_memtuple
once before changing to perRangeCxt, then reuse the returned inside the
loop (we probably need brin_memtuple_initialize to clear out the struct
at the end of each loop iteration).  Other callers of brin_deform_tuple
just pass NULL to get the current behavior.