Re: futex results with dbt-3 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: futex results with dbt-3
Date
Re: futex results with dbt-3
List pgsql-performance
Manfred Spraul <manfred@colorfullife.com> writes:
> Has anyone tried to replace the whole lwlock implementation with
> pthread_rwlock? At least for Linux with recent glibcs, pthread_rwlock is
> implemented with futexes, i.e. we would get a fast lock handling without
> os specific hacks.

"At least for Linux" does not strike me as equivalent to "without
OS-specific hacks".

The bigger problem here is that the SMP locking bottlenecks we are
currently seeing are *hardware* issues (AFAICT anyway).  The only way
that futexes can offer a performance win is if they have a smarter way
of executing the basic atomic-test-and-set sequence than we do;
and if so, we could read their code and adopt that method without having
to buy into any large reorganization of our code.

            regards, tom lane