Re: Idea for improving buildfarm robustness - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Idea for improving buildfarm robustness
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> Testing accessibility of "global/pg_control" would be enough to catch this
> case, but only if we do it before you create a new one.  So that seems
> like an argument for making the test relatively often.  The once-a-minute
> option is sounding better and better.

If we weren't afraid of portability issues or checks that only work on
certain platforms, we could use inotify on linux and get it to signal
postmaster when pg_control is deleted.  There are various
implementations of similar things in different platforms (kqueues on
BSD, surely there's gotta be something in Linux) -- though admittedly
that code may quickly become worse that the select/poll loops (which are
ugly enough).  Maybe it'd be okay if we just use a descriptor that sets
the process latch when signalled.