Re: checkpointer continuous flushing - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: checkpointer continuous flushing
Date
Re: checkpointer continuous flushing  (Fabien COELHO <coelho@cri.ensmp.fr>)
Re: checkpointer continuous flushing  (Fabien COELHO <coelho@cri.ensmp.fr>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Here's a bunch of comments on this (hopefully the latest?) version of
the patch:

* I'm not sure I like the FileWrite & FlushBuffer API changes. Do you forsee other callsites needing similar logic?
Wouldn'tit be just as easy to put this logic into the checkpointing code?

* We don't do one-line ifs; function parameters are always in the same line as the function name

* Wouldn't a binary heap over the tablespaces + progress be nicer? If you make the sorting criterion include the
tablespaceid you wouldn't need the lookahead loop in NextBufferToWrite().  Isn't the current approach O(NBuffers^2) in
theworst case?

Greetings,

Andres Freund