Re: Raising our compiler requirements for 9.6 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Raising our compiler requirements for 9.6
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 10:40:53PM +0200, Andres Freund wrote:
> You might argue that it's nothing we have touched frequently. And you're
> right. But I think that's a mistake. We spend far too much time in the
> various pieces of code dissembling tuples, and I think at some point
> somebody really needs to spend time on this.

Yes, this will need to be addressed some day --- I have heard rumors
that we use more CPU than some proprietary relational database for the
same workload.  Interestingly, we are not necessary slower, just consume
more CPU, causing us to max out the CPU sooner.

http://enterprisedb.com
 + Everyone has their own god. +