Re: [patch] A \pivot command for psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Fetter
Subject Re: [patch] A \pivot command for psql
Date
Re: [patch] A \pivot command for psql  ("Daniel Verite" <daniel@manitou-mail.org>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Aug 09, 2015 at 07:29:40PM +0200, Daniel Verite wrote:
>   Hi,
>
> I want to suggest a client-side \pivot command in psql, implemented
> in the attached patch.
>
> \pivot takes the current query in the buffer, execute it and
> display it pivoted by interpreting the result as:
>
> column1 => row in pivoted output
> column2 => column in pivoted output
> column3 => value at (row,column) in pivoted ouput

This is really neat work, and thanks for the patch.

This issue in this one as in the crosstab extension is that it's
available only if you are using some particular piece of extra
software, in this case the psql client.

I'm working up a proposal to add (UN)PIVOT support to the back-end.
Would you like to join in on that?

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!