Re: Hash index creation warning - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Hash index creation warning
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 11:40:27AM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 4:53 AM, Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 1:45 AM, Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> >> WARNING: hash indexes are not crash-safe, not replicated, and their
> >> use is discouraged
> >
> > +1
>
> I'm not wild about this rewording; I think that if users don't know
> what WAL is, they probably need to know that in order to make good
> decisions about whether to use hash indexes.  But I don't feel
> super-strongly about it.

Coming late to this, but I think Robert is right.  WAL is used for crash
recovery, PITR, and streaming replication, and I am not sure we want to
specify all of those in the warning message.

http://enterprisedb.com
 + Everyone has their own god. +