Re: upgrade failure from 9.5 to head - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Noah Misch
Subject Re: upgrade failure from 9.5 to head
Date
Re: upgrade failure from 9.5 to head  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 04:42:55PM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> The next hump is this, in restoring contrib_regression_test_ddl_parse:
>
>    pg_restore: creating FUNCTION "public"."text_w_default_in("cstring")"
>    pg_restore: [archiver (db)] Error while PROCESSING TOC:
>    pg_restore: [archiver (db)] Error from TOC entry 243; 1255 62534
>    FUNCTION text_w_default_in("cstring") buildfarm
>    pg_restore: [archiver (db)] could not execute query: ERROR: pg_type
>    OID value not set when in binary upgrade mode
>         Command was: CREATE FUNCTION "text_w_default_in"("cstring")
>    RETURNS "text_w_default"
>         LANGUAGE "internal" STABLE STRICT
>         AS $$texti...
>
> Is this worth bothering about, or should I simply remove the database before
> trying to upgrade?

That's a bug.  The test_ddl_deparse suite leaves a shell type, which
pg_upgrade fails to reproduce.  Whether to have pg_upgrade support that or
just error out cleanly is another question.