Re: anole: assorted stability problems - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: anole: assorted stability problems
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2015-06-29 22:58:05 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> So personally, I would be inclined to put back the volatile qualifier,
> independently of any fooling around with _Asm_double_magic_xyzzy
> calls.

I'm not sure. I think the reliance on an explicit memory barrier is a
lot more robust and easy to understand than some barely documented odd
behaviour around volatile. On the other hand the old way worked for a
long while.

I'm inclined to just do both on platforms as odd as IA6. But it'd like
to let anole run with the current set a bit longer - if it doesn't work
we have more problems than just S_UNLOCK(). It seems EDB has increased
the run rate for now, so it shouldn't take too long:
http://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_history.pl?nm=anole&br=HEAD

Greetings,

Andres Freund