Re: [GENERAL] 9.4.1 -> 9.4.2 problem: could not access status of transaction 1 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Noah Misch
Subject Re: [GENERAL] 9.4.1 -> 9.4.2 problem: could not access status of transaction 1
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jun 03, 2015 at 04:53:46PM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> So here's a patch taking a different approach.  In this approach, if
> the multixact whose members we want to look up doesn't exist, we don't
> use a later one (that might or might not be valid).  Instead, we
> attempt to cope with the unknown.  That means:
>
> 1. In TruncateMultiXact(), we don't truncate.

I like that change a lot.  It's much easier to seek forgiveness for wasting <=
28 GiB of disk than for deleting visibility information wrongly.

> 2. If setting the offset stop limit (the point where we refuse to
> create new multixact space), we don't arm the stop point.  This means
> that if you're in this situation, you run without member wraparound
> protection until it's corrected.  A message gets logged once per
> checkpoint telling you that you have this problem, and another message
> gets logged when things get straightened out and the guards are
> enabled.
>
> 3. If setting the vacuum force point, we assume that it's appropriate
> to immediately force vacuum.

Those seem reasonable, too.

> I've only tested this very lightly - this is just to see what you and
> Noah and others think of the approach.  As compared with the previous
> approach, it has the advantage of making minimal assumptions about the
> sanity of what's on disk.  It has the disadvantage that, for some
> people, the member-wraparound guard won't be enabled at startup -- but
> note that those people can't start 9.3.7/9.4.2 *at all*, so currently
> they are either running without member wraparound protection anyway
> (if they haven't upgraded to those releases) or they're down entirely.

That disadvantage is negligible, considering.

> Another disadvantage is that we'll be triggering what may be quite a
> bit of autovacuum activity for some people, which could be painful.
> On the plus side, they'll hopefully end up with sane relminmxid and
> datminmxid guards afterwards.

That sounds good so long as each table requires just one successful emergency
autovacuum.  I'm not seeing code to ensure that the launched autovacuum will
indeed perform a full-table scan and update relminmxid; is it there?

For sites that can't tolerate an autovacuum storm, what alternative can we
provide?  Is "SET vacuum_multixact_freeze_table_age = 0; VACUUM <table>" of
every table, done before applying the minor update, sufficient?

>  static void
> -DetermineSafeOldestOffset(MultiXactId oldestMXact)
> +DetermineSafeOldestOffset(MultiXactOffset oldestMXact)

Leftover change from an earlier iteration?  The values passed continue to be
MultiXactId values.

>      /* move back to start of the corresponding segment */
> -    oldestOffset -= oldestOffset %
> -        (MULTIXACT_MEMBERS_PER_PAGE * SLRU_PAGES_PER_SEGMENT);
> +    offsetStopLimit = oldestOffset - (oldestOffset %
> +        (MULTIXACT_MEMBERS_PER_PAGE * SLRU_PAGES_PER_SEGMENT));
> +    /* always leave one segment before the wraparound point */
> +    offsetStopLimit -= (MULTIXACT_MEMBERS_PER_PAGE * SLRU_PAGES_PER_SEGMENT);
> +
> +    /* if nothing has changed, we're done */
> +    if (prevOffsetStopLimitKnown && offsetStopLimit == prevOffsetStopLimit)
> +        return;
>
>      LWLockAcquire(MultiXactGenLock, LW_EXCLUSIVE);
> -    /* always leave one segment before the wraparound point */
> -    MultiXactState->offsetStopLimit = oldestOffset -
> -        (MULTIXACT_MEMBERS_PER_PAGE * SLRU_PAGES_PER_SEGMENT);
> +    MultiXactState->offsetStopLimit = oldestOffset;

That last line needs s/oldestOffset/offsetStopLimit/, I presume.

Thanks,
nm