Re: Re: BUG #12990: Missing pg_multixact/members files (appears to have wrapped, then truncated) - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Re: BUG #12990: Missing pg_multixact/members files (appears to have wrapped, then truncated)
Date
Re: Re: BUG #12990: Missing pg_multixact/members files (appears to have wrapped, then truncated)  (Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-bugs
Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> > I think this is confusing:
> >
> > +/*
> > + * Read the offset of the first member of the given multixact.
> > + */
> >
> > This is confusing to me because the two subdirectories of pg_multixact
> > are called "members" and "offsets".  Here you are talking about the
> > offset of the first member.  Maybe I'm just slow, but that seems like
> > conflating terminology.  You end up with a function called
> > read_offset_for_multi() that is actually looking up information about
> > members.  Ick.
>
> Yeah, I introduced the confusing terminology while inventing multixacts
> initially and have regretted it many times.  I will think about a better
> name for this.  (Meanwhile, on IM Robert suggested
> find_start_of_first_multi_member)

Pushed.  I chose find_multixact_start() as a name for this function.