Re: BUG #13143: Cannot stop and restart a streaming server with a replication slot - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: BUG #13143: Cannot stop and restart a streaming server with a replication slot
Date
Re: BUG #13143: Cannot stop and restart a streaming server with a replication slot  (Patrice Drolet <pdrolet@infodata.ca>)
List pgsql-bugs
Hi,

On 2015-04-24 10:10:06 +0000, pdrolet@infodata.ca wrote:

> Bug reference:      13143
> Logged by:          Patrice Drolet
> Email address:      pdrolet@infodata.ca
> PostgreSQL version: 9.4.1
> Operating system:   Windows 2008r2
>
> I have experienced it many times. The master streams to the slave for days
> and no problem (using a replication slot). If I stop the master, it does not
> want to restart and I have this error in the log:
>
> 2015-04-24 04:47:12 EDT LOG:  le système de bases de données a été arrêté à
> 2015-04-24 04:44:37 EDT
> 2015-04-24 04:47:12 EDT PANIC:  n'a pas pu synchroniser sur disque (fsync)
> le fichier « pg_replslot/node_win2012sec/state » : Bad file descriptor
> 2015-04-24 04:47:12 EDT LOG:  processus de lancement (PID 23180) quitte avec
> le code de sortie 3
> 2015-04-24 04:47:12 EDT LOG:  annulation du démarrage à cause d'un échec
> dans le processus de lancement
>
> To restart the server, I have to manually delete the folder in pg_replslot.
> But then I need to re build the slave. Not very practical for a multi
> gigabyte database.

Obviously that's not how it supposed to be. I don't have access to a
windows systems, much less a french one unfortunately.

Could you:
1) describe your exact setup
2) Check that it's unrelated to any anti-virus software running?
3) configure 'log_error_verbosity = verbose'? Then we'll get line
   numbers, which will help narrowing down what's happening.
4) You could try to debug it by installing sysinternal's sysmon and
   recording what is exactly done with that file?

Regards,

Andres