Re: logical column ordering - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: logical column ordering
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus wrote:
> > This patch decouples these three things so that they
> > can changed freely -- but provides no user interface to do so.  I think
> > that trying to only decouple the thing we currently have in two pieces,
> > and then have a subsequent patch to decouple again, is additional
> > conceptual complexity for no gain.
>
> Oh, I didn't realize there weren't commands to change the LCO.  Without
> at least SQL syntax for LCO, I don't see why we'd take it; this sounds
> more like a WIP patch.

The reason for doing it this way is that changing the underlying
architecture is really hard, without having to bear an endless hackers
bike shed discussion about the best userland syntax to use.  It seems a
much better approach to do the actually difficult part first, then let
the rest to be argued to death by others and let those others do the
easy part (and take all the credit along with that); that way, that
discussion does not kill other possible uses that the new architecture
allows.