BUG #12675: BIGINT Datatype performance - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From derek.anderson@mspmac.org
Subject BUG #12675: BIGINT Datatype performance
Date
List pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      12675
Logged by:          Derek Anderson
Email address:      derek.anderson@mspmac.org
PostgreSQL version: 9.4.0
Operating system:   Linux

I did some testing on bigint vs double precision datatype performance for a
project we have going on here.

To my surprise, I found the double precision (floating) was well over 200%
faster than bigint in aggregate functions.  I don't know if this qualifies
as a bug, but it sure seems odd considering non-floating type datatypes
usually perform much faster than floating.

Please contact me if you wish to discuss.

-Derek

Derek Anderson
612.293.8515
Metropolitan Airports Commission