Re: Proposal: Log inability to lock pages during vacuum - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Proposal: Log inability to lock pages during vacuum
Date
Re: Proposal: Log inability to lock pages during vacuum  (Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Jim Nasby wrote:

> We have to decide on a tradeoff here. Either we end up with two
> different log messages (depending on scan_all) that require two
> different translations, or we end up with a generic message that isn't
> as clear.
>
> The best option I can think of for the later is something like "failed
> initial lock attempt". That's the only thing that will be true in all
> cases.

Here's my proposal.  Instead of punting, I split the message in
separately translatable units, and emit only the ones that apply.  The
code is messier this way, but I think we can live with that.

Attachment