Re: Commitfest problems - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Fetter
Subject Re: Commitfest problems
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 04:21:43PM +0100, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2014-12-12 07:10:40 -0800, David Fetter wrote:
> > >
> > > I think the limited amount of time I can put into a commitfest is
> > > better spent on reviewing patches than on managing the process.
> >
> > With utmost respect,
>
> FWIW, the way you frequently use this phrase doesn't come over as
> actually being respectful.

Respect is quantified, and in this case, the most afforded is the most
earned.  In the case of criticizing the work of others without an
offer of help them do it better, respect for that behavior does have
some pretty sharp upper limits, so yes, utmost is in that context.

> > Tom, you seem to carve off an enormous amount of time to follow
> > -bugs and -general.  What say you unsubscribe to those lists for
> > the duration of your tenure as CFM?
>
> And why on earth would that be a good idea?

Because Tom Lane is not the person whose time is best spent screening
these mailing lists.

> These bugs need to be fixed - we're actually behind on that front.

So you're proposing a bug triage system, which is a separate
discussion.  Let's have that one in a separate thread.

> Are we now really trying to dictate how other developers manage
> their time?

I was merely pointing out that time can be allocated, and that it
appeared it could be allocated from a bucket for which persons less
knowledgeable--perhaps a good bit less knowledgeable--about the entire
code base than Tom are well suited.

> It's one thing to make up rules that say "one review for one commit"
> or something,

And how do you think that would work out.  Are you up for following
it?

> it's something entirely else to try to assign tasks to them.

I was, as I mentioned, merely pointing out that trade-offs are
available.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!