Re: Commitfest problems - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Commitfest problems
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 12/12/2014 06:30 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
> Yeah, that would be great, and even better if we could get 2 or 3
> positions funded so that the success or failure isn't too much tied to
> a single individual.  But even getting 1 position funded in a
> stable-enough fashion that someone would be willing to bet on it seems
> like a challenge.  (Maybe other people here are less risk-averse than
> I am.)

Well, first, who would that person be? Last I checked, all of the senior
committers were spoken for.  I like this idea, but the list of people
who could fill the role is pretty short, and I couldn't possibly start
fundraising unless I had a candidate.

Second, I don't think someone's employment will make a difference in
fixing the commitfest and patch review *process* unless the contributors
agree that it needs fixing and that they are willing to make changes to
their individual workflow to fix it.  Right now there is no consensus
about moving forward in our patch review process; everyone seems to want
the problem to go away without changing anything.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.