Re: [SwissPUG] Swiss PostgreSQL Users Group

From: Alvaro Herrera
Subject: Re: [SwissPUG] Swiss PostgreSQL Users Group
Date: ,
Re: [SwissPUG] Swiss PostgreSQL Users Group  (Markus Wanner)
List: pgsql-www

Tree view

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] [SwissPUG] Swiss PostgreSQL Users Group  ("Jonathan S. Katz", )
 Re: [pgsql-advocacy] [SwissPUG] Swiss PostgreSQL Users Group  (Alvaro Herrera, )
  Re: [SwissPUG] Swiss PostgreSQL Users Group  (Charles Clavadetscher, )
   Re: [SwissPUG] Swiss PostgreSQL Users Group  (Alvaro Herrera, )
    Re: [SwissPUG] Swiss PostgreSQL Users Group  (Charles Clavadetscher, )
    Re: [SwissPUG] Swiss PostgreSQL Users Group  (Markus Wanner, )

Charles Clavadetscher wrote:

Hi Charles,

> Well, I think that a mailing list is a meaningful way to coordinate
> activities and is better than, let's say a distribution list on each
> user's mail client. With a single address we can reach all people
> interested in our activities (a number that will hopefully grow with
> time). From your question I have the impression that you are aware of
> some good reasons not to use a mailing list. Since I honestly don't
> see any, I would be glad to learn about them in order to be able to
> understand if we should look for a different solution.

Many people here use something like meetup.com instead of a mailing
list.  Most PUG lists end up dead; only a few are active.  It's a pain
to get rid of dead lists, so our criteria now is to let the group prove
itself active before we create the list.  I guess if you have enough
energy to get an NPO up and running, that should qualify.