Re: [pgsql-advocacy] [SwissPUG] Swiss PostgreSQL Users Group

From
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Date:
Hi Charles,

Hello

We are very glad to announce the creation of the Swiss PostgreSQL Users Group (SwissPUG). We are currently preparing the constituent assembly which will take place in Zurich in the first half of 2015 depending on the progress of the work. Everybody living in Switzerland and sharing an interest in PostgreSQL is kindly invited to contribute. We would appreciate your help in creating a mailing list on postgresql.org for us (possiblyswisspug@postgresql.org  or something similar according to the naming rules of the community) and in getting listed on the PUGS list.

You will find more information onhttp://www.swisspug.org.

We are also cooperating with the organizers of the Swiss Postgres Conference 2015, that will be held on June 25th/26th 2015 in Rapperswil: Information on the conference are available onhttp://www.postgres-conference.ch.

Thank you!

Congrats on getting the SwissPUG started.  I have added it to the list on the site: http://www.postgresql.org/community/user-groups/

To get a .org mailing list, it is best to contact the pgsql-www mailing list (which I have copied) as the people who manage the mailing lists are there.

Best,

Jonathan

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] [SwissPUG] Swiss PostgreSQL Users Group

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> Hi Charles,
>

> > Hello
> >
> > We are very glad to announce the creation of the Swiss PostgreSQL Users Group (SwissPUG). We are currently
preparingthe constituent assembly which will take place in Zurich in the first half of 2015 depending on the progress
ofthe work. Everybody living in Switzerland and sharing an interest in PostgreSQL is kindly invited to contribute. We
wouldappreciate your help in creating a mailing list on postgresql.org for us (possiblyswisspug@postgresql.org  or
somethingsimilar according to the naming rules of the community) and in getting listed on the PUGS list.

> > You will find more information onhttp://www.swisspug.org.
> >
> > We are also cooperating with the organizers of the Swiss Postgres Conference 2015, that will be held on June
25th/26th2015 in Rapperswil: Information on the conference are available onhttp://www.postgres-conference.ch.

> Congrats on getting the SwissPUG started.  I have added it to the list on the site:
http://www.postgresql.org/community/user-groups/

> To get a .org mailing list, it is best to contact the pgsql-www mailing list (which I have copied) as the people who
managethe mailing lists are there.

Usual question applies here: do you *really* need a mailing list?  We
have turned down a few requests lately ...

Re: [SwissPUG] Swiss PostgreSQL Users Group

From
Charles Clavadetscher
Date:
Hello Álvaro

Well, I think that a mailing list is a meaningful way to coordinate
activities and is better than, let's say a distribution list on each
user's mail client. With a single address we can reach all people
interested in our activities (a number that will hopefully grow with
time). From your question I have the impression that you are aware of
some good reasons not to use a mailing list. Since I honestly don't see
any, I would be glad to learn about them in order to be able to
understand if we should look for a different solution.

Thank you and bye
Charles

On 12/01/2014 11:36 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
>> Hi Charles,
>>

>>> Hello
>>>
>>> We are very glad to announce the creation of the Swiss PostgreSQL Users Group (SwissPUG). We are currently
preparingthe constituent assembly which will take place in Zurich in the first half of 2015 depending on the progress
ofthe work. Everybody living in Switzerland and sharing an interest in PostgreSQL is kindly invited to contribute. We
wouldappreciate your help in creating a mailing list on postgresql.org for us (possibly swisspug@postgresql.org  or
somethingsimilar according to the naming rules of the community) and in getting listed on the PUGS list.

>>> You will find more information on http://www.swisspug.org.
>>>
>>> We are also cooperating with the organizers of the Swiss Postgres Conference 2015, that will be held on June
25th/26th2015 in Rapperswil: Information on the conference are available onhttp://www.postgres-conference.ch.

>> Congrats on getting the SwissPUG started.  I have added it to the list on the site:
http://www.postgresql.org/community/user-groups/

>> To get a .org mailing list, it is best to contact the pgsql-www mailing list (which I have copied) as the people who
managethe mailing lists are there.

> Usual question applies here: do you *really* need a mailing list?  We
> have turned down a few requests lately ...

Re: [SwissPUG] Swiss PostgreSQL Users Group

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Charles Clavadetscher wrote:

Hi Charles,

> Well, I think that a mailing list is a meaningful way to coordinate
> activities and is better than, let's say a distribution list on each
> user's mail client. With a single address we can reach all people
> interested in our activities (a number that will hopefully grow with
> time). From your question I have the impression that you are aware of
> some good reasons not to use a mailing list. Since I honestly don't
> see any, I would be glad to learn about them in order to be able to
> understand if we should look for a different solution.

Many people here use something like meetup.com instead of a mailing
list.  Most PUG lists end up dead; only a few are active.  It's a pain
to get rid of dead lists, so our criteria now is to let the group prove
itself active before we create the list.  I guess if you have enough
energy to get an NPO up and running, that should qualify.

Re: [SwissPUG] Swiss PostgreSQL Users Group

From
Charles Clavadetscher
Date:
Hello Álvaro

I see your point. I didn't know that it is difficult to remove a mailing
list and, obviously, I cannot see into the future and guarantee that our
list will never end up dead. The foundation of the SwissPUG as a formal
NPO according to Swiss laws in still underway and will culminate in the
first half of 2015 with the adoption of the bylaws and the election of
the first board through the constituent assembly.

I will discuss the issue with my colleagues and see how we proceed.

Thank you and have a good day.
Charles

On 12/02/2014 03:59 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Many people here use something like meetup.com instead of a mailing
> list. Most PUG lists end up dead; only a few are active. It's a pain
> to get rid of dead lists, so our criteria now is to let the group
> prove itself active before we create the list. I guess if you have
> enough energy to get an NPO up and running, that should qualify.

Re: [SwissPUG] Swiss PostgreSQL Users Group

From
Markus Wanner
Date:
Alvaro,

thanks for your consideration. We discussed this internally and
concluded that, yes, we really want a mailing list. Or rather not just
one, but several. Fortunately, it looks like we have the required skills
and dedication to run our own on swisspug.org. So we currently don't
need that community service.

Regards

Markus Wanner
on behalf of the SwissPUG Constituent Board