Re: Turning recovery.conf into GUCs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Turning recovery.conf into GUCs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Amit Kapila (amit.kapila16@gmail.com) wrote:
> > What exactly you mean by 'disable postgresql.auto.conf',  do you
> > mean user runs Alter System to remove that entry or manually disable
> > some particular entry?
>
> Last I paid attention to this, there was a clear way to disable the
> inclusion of postgresql.auto.conf in the postgresql.conf.  If that's
> gone, then there is a serious problem.  Administrators who manage their
> postgresql.conf (eg: through a CM system like puppet or chef..) must
> have a way to prevent other changes.

Sigh, here we go again.  I don't think you can disable postgresql.auto.conf
in the current code.  As I recall, the argument was that it's harder to
diagnose problems if postgresql.auto.conf takes effect in some system
but not others.

I think if you want puppet or chef etc you'd add postgresql.auto.conf as
a config file in those systems, so that ALTER SYSTEM is reflected there.