Re: Automatic PG_PRINTF_ATTRIBUTE - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Automatic PG_PRINTF_ATTRIBUTE
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2014-11-21 03:12:14 -0500, Noah Misch wrote:
> pg_config_manual.h has been choosing gnu_printf as the PG_PRINTF_ATTRIBUTE for
> every MinGW build.  That invites a torrent of warnings on pre-gcc-4.4 MinGW
> compilers, including the compiler on buildfarm member narwhal.  I'm
> increasingly using an affected compiler, because it builds twice as quickly as
> today's gcc.

No objections to the patch itself, but this seems like quite the odd
approach. Sure those old compilers might be a bit faster, but they also
report many fewer legitimate warnings and such.

A full tree doesn't take that long? A full recompile sess than 40s here
and src/backend alone is much faster. ISTM that if it's currently too
slow, improving the concurrency of the build a bit more is a wiser
path...

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services