Re: Proposal: Log inability to lock pages during vacuum - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Proposal: Log inability to lock pages during vacuum
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Andres Freund wrote:

> > If what we want is to quantify the extent of the issue, would it be more
> > convenient to save counters to pgstat?  Vacuum already sends pgstat
> > messages, so there's no additional traffic there.
>
> I'm pretty strongly against that one in isolation. They'd need to be
> stored somewhere and they'd need to be queryable somewhere with enough
> context to make sense.  To actually make sense of the numbers we'd also
> need to report all the other datapoints of vacuum in some form. That's
> quite a worthwile project imo - but *much* *much* more work than this.

We already have "last_autovacuum" columns and such in pg_stat_tables et
al, which only record the last value.  My thinking regarding such
numbers is that you would save histories and put them in a chart, see
how they evolve with time.  I doubt the individual numbers are worth
much, but the trends might show something interesting.  As far as I
know, this is already true for most other pgstat values, with exception
of things such as live_tuples which are absolute numbers rather than
running counters.

I agree having more vacuuming data in general is a worthwhile project,
much larger than this one.  Wasn't Greg Smith working on that?