Re: Proposal: Log inability to lock pages during vacuum - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Proposal: Log inability to lock pages during vacuum
Date
Re: Proposal: Log inability to lock pages during vacuum  (Jim Nasby <Jim.Nasby@BlueTreble.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 2014-11-10 14:28:30 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Jim Nasby wrote:
> > >
> > >I could see logging it, but I agree with Andres and Alvaro that the
> > >odds are strongly against there being any actual problem here.
> >
> > I'm fine with that. Any other objections? Andres?

If you feel that strong about the need for logging, go ahead.

> If what we want is to quantify the extent of the issue, would it be more
> convenient to save counters to pgstat?  Vacuum already sends pgstat
> messages, so there's no additional traffic there.

I'm pretty strongly against that one in isolation. They'd need to be
stored somewhere and they'd need to be queryable somewhere with enough
context to make sense.  To actually make sense of the numbers we'd also
need to report all the other datapoints of vacuum in some form. That's
quite a worthwile project imo - but *much* *much* more work than this.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services