Re: Feature request: smarter use of conditional indexes - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Feature request: smarter use of conditional indexes
Date
List pgsql-performance
Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org> writes:
> Just a suggestion, please use diff -c format, as it makes it easier for
> the folks who apply the patches to do so.

That's not just a suggestion ... patches that aren't in diff -c (or at
least diff -u) format will be rejected out of hand.  Without the context
lines provided by these formats, applying a patch is an exercise in
risk-taking, because you can't be certain that you are applying the same
patch the submitter intended.

Personally I consider -c format the only one of the three that is
readable for reviewing purposes, so even if I weren't intending
immediate application, I'd ask for -c before looking at the patch.
There are some folks who consider -u format readable, but I'm not
one of them ...

BTW, patches really ought to go to pgsql-patches ... they're a bit
off-topic here.

            regards, tom lane