Re: question about memory usage - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bill Moran
Subject Re: question about memory usage
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 23 Jul 2014 00:16:47 +0200
klo uo <klonuo@gmail.com> wrote:

> Looking in process explorer, I see unusual size for postgres server
> process, i.e. working set reported around 1GB:
> http://i.imgur.com/HmkvFLM.png (same in attachment)
>
> I also use SqlExpress server with several databases (including spatial) but
> that doesn't go above 100MB in Private Bytes and around 1 MB in Working Set.
>
> I wanted to ask, if this is normal, or there is some problem with my server
> setting?

I'm not an expert on the Windows version, so I could be off-base, but the
POSIX versions of Postgres allocate shared_buffers worth of memory at startup
and lock it for exclusive use by Postgres.  Do you have shared_buffers set to
around 1G, perhaps?

--
Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>