Re: PostgreSQL in Windows console and Ctrl-C - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Noah Misch
Subject Re: PostgreSQL in Windows console and Ctrl-C
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 09:24:43AM +0000, Christian Ullrich wrote:
> pg_ctl does not pass the option anywhere but on Windows, and postmaster.c does not recognize it anywhere else. If it
isencountered on a platform where it does not make sense, it will be treated like any other (unknown) long option.

> This is actually the weakest point of the existing patch, in my opinion. Jamming the long option handling into
postmaster.cby way of #ifdef WIN32 feels wrong, but I could not figure out a better way to do it.

I liked the proposal here; was there a problem with it?
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CA+TgmoZ3aKE4EnCTmQmZSyKC_0pjL_u4C_x47GE48uY1upBNxg@mail.gmail.com

The pg_upgrade test suite and the $(prove_check)-based test suites rely on
their pg_ctl-started postmasters receiving any console ^C.  pg_ctl deserves a
--foreground or --no-background option for callers that prefer the current
behavior.  That, or those tests need a new way to launch the postmaster.

--
Noah Misch
EnterpriseDB                                 http://www.enterprisedb.com