Re: updated emacs configuration - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Noah Misch
Subject Re: updated emacs configuration
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jun 09, 2014 at 10:52:34AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> writes:
> > On Wed, Aug 07, 2013 at 07:57:53AM -0400, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> >> Did anyone have any outstanding concerns about this latest version?  I
> >> thought it looked ready to commit.
>
> > After upgrading to GNU Emacs 23.4.1 from a version predating directory-local
> > variables, I saw switch/case indentation go on the fritz.  My hooks were
> > issuing (c-set-style "postgresql"), but ".dir-locals.el" set it back to plain
> > "bsd" style.  The most-reasonable fix I found was to locally add c-file-style
> > to ignored-local-variables.
>
> It seems pretty ugly for this patch to be overriding our own
> .dir-locals.el, especially in a way with as many potential side effects
> as that.  Why can't we fix .dir-locals.el to play nice with this?
> Is there a way for it to check for whether postgresql style is defined?

Nontrivial material in .dir-locals.el will tend to fire unsafe-local-variable
warnings.  Ugly situation, yes.  What are these "many potential side effects"
you have in mind?

--
Noah Misch
EnterpriseDB                                 http://www.enterprisedb.com