Re: wrapping in extended mode doesn't work well with default pager - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Noah Misch
Subject Re: wrapping in extended mode doesn't work well with default pager
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 10:10:23AM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Sergey Muraviov wrote:
> > I found some new bugs and fix them.
> > And I had to make many changes.
>
> This version fixes some bugs I had noticed in expanded mode too.  For instance,
> the original looked like this (five lines plus header):
>
> -[ RECORD 49 ]-----+-------------------------------------------------------------------------
>  pg_identify_object | (rule,,,"""_RETURN"" on pg_catalog.pg_available_extension_versions")
>
>  pg_identify_object | (view,pg_catalog,pg_available_extension_versions,pg_catalog.pg_availabl
> e.
>                     |._extension_versions)
>

> whereas it's correctly only three lines plus header with this patch
> applied.

I had noticed a similar-looking behavior change with aligned format and
expanded display, so I gave psql-wrapped-expanded-fix-v4.patch a spin with
this test case:

\pset expanded on
\pset format aligned
select repeat('a', 2) union all select repeat('a', 500);

The patch did not restore 9.3 behavior for that one.  Starting with commit
6513633, the first line of letters is space-padded on the right to the width
of the second line of letters.  To illustrate, I have attached raw psql output
from both commit 6513633 and its predecessor.  Also note that
psql-wrapped-expanded-fix-v4.patch expands each [ RECORD x ] header from 509
bytes to 511 bytes; 509 is the longstanding width.

Thanks,
nm

--
Noah Misch