Re: jsonb status - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: jsonb status
Date
Re: jsonb status  (Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2014-03-13 17:00:33 -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Peter Geoghegan has been doing a lot of great cleanup of the jsonb code,
> after moving in the bits we wanted from nested hstore. You can see the
> current state of the code at
> <https://github.com/feodor/postgres/tree/jsonb_and_hstore>

I've pushed one commit with minor fixes, and one with several FIXMEs to
http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=users/andresfreund/postgres.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/jsonb_and_hstore

The most imortant things are:

* Jsonb vs JsonbValue is just bad, the latter needs to be renamed, and there needs to be a very clear explanation about
whytwo forms exist and what each is used for.

* The whole datastructure doesn't have any sensible highlevel documentation.
* I don't really like the JsonbSuperHeader name/abstraction. What does the "Super" mean? The only interpetation I see
isthat it's the toplevel header (why not Top then?), but JEntry has the comment: "/* May be accessed as superheader
*/"...

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services