Re: narwhal and PGDLLIMPORT - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: narwhal and PGDLLIMPORT
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2014-02-17 10:21:12 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:

> >> Well, as we know, Narwhal is really quite old now. I think I built it
> >> seven+ years ago. Is it really worth banging heads against walls to
> >> support something that noone in their right mind should be using for a
> >> build these days?
>
> > The problem is that lots of those issues are bugs that actually cause
> > problems for msvc builds. If there were tests in worker_spi it'd quite
> > possibly crash when run in 9.3. The problem is rather that the other
> > animals are *not* erroring.
>
> Exactly.
>
> Although on second thought, the lack of complaints from other Windows
> animals can probably be blamed on the fact that we didn't back-port
> any of the recent hacking on the Windows build processes.  Maybe we
> should think about doing so, now that the dust seems to have settled.

Yea, at the very least the gendef.pl thing should be backported,
possibly the mingw --disable-auto-import thing as well. But it's
probably a gooid idea to wait till the branches are stamped?

> We still need to know why narwhal is crashing on dblink though.
> I have a bad feeling that that may indicate still-unresolved
> linkage problems.

It's odd:

[53019d05.f58:2] LOG:  server process (PID 2428) exited with exit code 128
[53019d05.f58:3] DETAIL:  Failed process was running: SELECT *FROM dblink('dbname=contrib_regression','SELECT * FROM
foo')AS t(a int, b text, c text[])WHERE t.a > 7;

[53019d05.f58:4] LOG:  server process (PID 2428) exited with exit code 0
[53019d05.f58:5] LOG:  terminating any other active server processes
[53019d06.e9c:2] WARNING:  terminating connection because of crash of another server process
[53019d06.e9c:3] DETAIL:  The postmaster has commanded this server process to roll back the curreGreetings,

Not sure if that's actually a segfault and not something else. Why is
the same death reported twice? With different exit codes?

Andres Freund

Services