Re: narwhal and PGDLLIMPORT - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: narwhal and PGDLLIMPORT
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2014-02-17 15:02:15 +0000, Dave Page wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 2:58 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> >> Not sure - it's certainly installed on the box. I've enabled it for
> >> now, and will see what happens.
> >
> > Sigh ... stop the presses.
> >
> > In 9.3, narwhal is *still* showing a PGDLLIMPORT-type failure that no
> > other Windows critter is unhappy about:
> >
> > dlltool --export-all --output-def worker_spi.def worker_spi.o
> > dllwrap -o worker_spi.dll --def worker_spi.def worker_spi.o -L../../src/port -L../../src/common
-Wl,--allow-multiple-definition-L/mingw/lib  -Wl,--as-needed   -L../../src/backend -lpostgres

> > Info: resolving _MyBgworkerEntry by linking to __imp__MyBgworkerEntry (auto-import)
> > fu000001.o(.idata$3+0xc): undefined reference to `libpostgres_a_iname'
> > fu000002.o(.idata$3+0xc): undefined reference to `libpostgres_a_iname'
> > nmth000000.o(.idata$4+0x0): undefined reference to `_nm__MyBgworkerEntry'
> > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> >
> > So we are back to square one AFAICS: we still have no idea why narwhal
> > is pickier than everything else.  (BTW, to save people the trouble of
> > looking: MyBgworkerEntry is marked PGDLLIMPORT in HEAD but not 9.3.)
> >
> > Also, in HEAD narwhal is building things OK, but then seems to be
> > dumping core in the dblink regression test, leaving one with not a very
> > warm feeling about whether the contrib executables it's building are
> > any good.
>
> Well, as we know, Narwhal is really quite old now. I think I built it
> seven+ years ago. Is it really worth banging heads against walls to
> support something that noone in their right mind should be using for a
> build these days?

The problem is that lots of those issues are bugs that actually cause
problems for msvc builds. If there were tests in worker_spi it'd quite
possibly crash when run in 9.3. The problem is rather that the other
animals are *not* erroring.

Unless I am missing something.

Greetings,

Andres Freund