Re: Modify the DECLARE CURSOR command tag depending on the scrollable flag - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Meskes
Subject Re: Modify the DECLARE CURSOR command tag depending on the scrollable flag
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 09:04:17AM +0100, Boszormenyi Zoltan wrote:
> >>Well, technically, unspecified means NO SCROLL according to the SQL
> >>standard.  A lot of applications in ECPG are ported from other systems,

That means by automatically adding a literal NO SCROLL to the command we obey
standard, right? That's fine by me.

> >behavior applies, but it might break existing apps that were unknowingly
> >relying on a simple cursor being scrollable.  OTOH any such app would be
> >subject to breakage anyway as a result of planner changes, so it's hard to
> >complain against this, as long as it's happening in a major version
> >update.

Ported applications might be in the same boat. I'm not sure if all other DBMSs
stick with the standard if nothing is specified. So again, adding it might help
make it clearer.

> Anyway, is explicitly adding NO SCROLL the preferred solution for everyone?

+1 from me.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes