Re: Proof of concept: standalone backend with full FE/BE protocol - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Proof of concept: standalone backend with full FE/BE protocol
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2013-11-20 17:19:42 +0100, Andres Freund wrote:
> > That just pushes the problem up a level --- how are you going to tell
> > psql, pg_dump, or other programs that they should do that?
>
> An explicit parameter. A program imo explicitly needs to be aware that a
> PQconnect() suddenly starts forking and such. What if it is using
> threads? What if it has it's own SIGCHLD handler for other business it's
> doing?

Just as an example, consider what happens if somebody does pg_dump -j?
Or somebody specifies such a connection for primary_conninfo?

I am also not sure whether vacuumdb -a/reindexdb -a (both not unlikely
commands to use for single user mode) are careful enough not to have
parallel connections open?

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services